Sunday, March 10, 2013

happy birthday, biggest sister!

My sister, Taylor-Lynn is turning twenty-five today. Twenty. Five. For those of you who do not know this sister of mine, she is absolutely incredible. She is also pregnant with her third child, Asher Mark. She is a talented graphic-design artist, the mommy of my niece and nephew, a fantastic writer, an even more fantastic editor, a loving housewife, a true and honest friend, and a supportive sister. And yes, Taylor is still sane... well, sometimes ;).

Taylor is almost exactly five years older than me and for the majority of our lives, we resented each other. I think it started when my Mom went into labor with me during Taylor's fifth birthday party and had to miss it. Yikes, that would have been one interesting birthday party.  Growing up, we just always seemed to clash and getting along was never easy. But all throughout my life, I learned to love and appreciate Taylor because she was such an inspiration of a woman that I wanted to become. She was pursued, but did not let down her standards and settle. She was talented, but she did not edify herself. She was Godly, but knew how to be real. She did what was best for the family, even though it required  a lot of sacrifices. She respected my parents, despite  being an independent first-born. She reached out, even though she was an introvert. She was a Christian, and lived like it. I am convinced that I am the woman that I am today because of the influence that Taylor, and my other sisters, had on my life. Now, Taylor and I rarely clash and we almost always get along. And when I visited her twice last fall, we were amazed at all that we accomplished together. I will never forget the 2am chats and 6:30am wake-up-calls by Gabriel and Hallie-girl. Helping them move out of a third-floor town home...in the rain. Spending relentless hours unpacking and organizing their beautiful kitchen. And going crazy chasing the toddlers together We had so much fun.

If I could sum up Taylor-Lynn up in one word, it would be wise. Y'all, she can give the best advice to just about anyone. Even though she is quiet, like my Mom, when she opens her mouth you listen because you know it's going to be worth hearing. Last fall, I was going through a difficult time and Taylor not only made me feel better, but also ministered to me when she sent me this note. 




Taylor, I love you so much and your life is a constant encouragement. In five years, I hope to be half the woman that you are today. Minus having three children, lol.  Happy twenty-five years!!! You've lived each one to the fullest. 

Love, 
Whit

No comments:

Post a Comment