Saturday, November 9, 2013

Saying Yes.

Sometimes, you just gotta say yes, even when everything in you wants to say no... not now. Another day. I'm too busy. Ask someone else...

Yesterday, I had a lot to do. Beginning to feel overwhelmed and exhausted of the indoors, I sat on my back deck to drink in the autumn air and enjoy the colors of fall while keeping busy with my to-do list. I sat there with one agenda - getting tasks done... lots of them. But my afternoon did not go as planned. My {sometimes} sweet little brother came out and asked, "Whitney, will you have a date with me? We can drink apple cider!" Though it absolutely warmed my heart, I could have said "sorry, Anderson, that sounds really fun but I'm busy now. Maybe later?" But instead, I said a simple "yes." My afternoon did not go as I had planned. Instead of making calls, I made memories. 



Today, I had full intentions on going on a long run in the neighborhood. I was looking forward to it, actually. I had been waiting for the weather to be prime and for myself to finally have the time. Again, my ideas weren't Anderson's. "Whitney, can you play spies with me outside?".... here we go again. Hmmmm. I thought a moment and responded, "yes, Anderson, let me go find some gadgets!" I wish I could have captured the look of excitement that spread across his freckled face. He then exclaimed, "YES! That's a check off my to-do list!" Side note: this boy is more like me than I thought! I spent yet another portion of my afternoon playing. We hid from cars passing by and Anderson showed me his fort. It's been a long time since I played. It's been a long time since I haven't had one care in the world.

Though I had other, some would consider "better" things to do, choosing to say yes was worth it. When I look back on today, I will never remember that run... but I will remember playing spies. I will remember Anderson asking to hold my hand. I will remember the sound of his laughter and the happiness we felt.

I encourage you to say yes today. Say it to a child, a parent, or even to yourself. Say it because sometimes, saying yes turn moments into memories. And in everything, remember that these are the times that will one day be told.

Happy Saturday! 

Love,
Whit 

2 comments:

  1. Great choices Whitney! I never regret the times I've spent with a small child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're such a sweetie Whitney. Having so many siblings has truly prepared you for being a parent. Once again, another reason to love the Morrow household. Saying "yes" is so difficult sometimes. But you're right. Truth is life will never slow down, there will never be a"prime" moment for anything. Thanks for the reminder. I love you girl and I love that beautiful heart of yours. -Jordan Boughner

    ReplyDelete