Thursday, November 1, 2012

A date in the café


One of my favorite things to do is sit in a café. It isn’t about the freshly brewed coffee or delicious pastries, but there is something about the warm and inviting atmosphere, making time run by and triggering heartfelt conversation filled with laughter and joy.




One thing that I have noticed about café dates is that they are never quite long enough! It seems that those heart-to-heart chats in the cozy booths can simply go on forever. I typically have breakfast in a café one morning a week with my best friend, Jessica. Sadly, because our lives are both so busy, it’s the only time that we really spend together. On these treasurable mornings, we attempt to squeeze all of our chatter and laughter into a quick forty minutes before I have to go to school. Yes, we could meet earlier in the morning, but as it is, we meet at 6:45AM and any earlier just doesn’t happen, folks.

The other morning a thought to myself as I was leaving, I wish we had more time together.  We have to choose our topics of discussion wisely before time runs out and we have to get on with our hectic schedules. There’s just so much more I wanted to talk about! That is when God took the opportunity to speak to me, Whitney, now you understand how I feel about you.

To be honest, I try to fit God into my busy schedule by setting aside precisely thirty minutes every morning with Him, and half the time I’m late. Is that really quality time, though? I choose my topics of prayer and devotion carefully as I cautiously check the clock? I once heard a Pastor tell me that every morning, he pours two cups of coffee, one for himself and one for Jesus. It reminds him that Jesus real and deserves our undivided attention when we have a date with Him. I thought that was so neat. As cliché as this may sound, I desire to have a classic café date with Jesus.


Philippians 3:10 says, “That I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him…” (Emphasis added).

How can we truly know and love God if we have a set aside just thirty minutes packed with discussion, worship, study, and meditation? David was wise when he said, “I will bless the LORD at all times and his praise shall continually be on my mouth” (Psalm 34:1).

So, will you join me in spending an afternoon in the café with our loving friend and savior, Jesus? Maybe it doesn’t actually have to be in a café, but spend quality time with Him somehow, somewhere, and sometime soon. Go on a walk; sit by a lake, read the Word in your bedroom, worship in your car. Just spend that time with Him. Learn Him. Know Him. And allow Him to know you, everything about you.

Love, Whit :)



No comments:

Post a Comment