Tuesday, October 8, 2013

I met someone.

Yesterday I had an unforgettable encounter. It wasn't unforgettable because it was amazing... no, I did not meet "the one" or anything like that (#thingschristiangirlssay). Actually, it wasn't amazing at all, just unforgettable. A simple conversation while getting my Chrysler's oil changed at a local body shop.

The lady at the check-out seemed noticeably interested in my life... where I went to school... where I worked... yada yada. We'll just call her Sue.

Sue: "So, you work at a church, huh? Would you say it's your vocation or calling?"
Me: Is this a trick question? "Uhhh. Vocation. No, calling. I'm sorry, can you repeat the question?"
Sue: "I mean, do you do it because you like it, it's your job, and you get paid for it? Or do you think it's what you are created for?"
Me: "I definitely feel that I am called to do it, born to do it, but I also really like it. So, both I guess?

Sue just looked at me with a blank stare. Then gave me my keys back.

Me: "So, do you go to a church in the area?" breaking the silence with small talk is always a good idea. 
Sue: "I used to go to *a local church* but not anymore. I got divorced.
Me: "Oh I'm so sorry, so now your ex goes and you don't want to be at the same church, right?"
Sue: "Oh honey, it's much uglier than that... It was my fortieth birthday and we had just moved to Williamsburg. It was that day that my husband decided to tell me that he was having an affair with another woman and was leaving me. Then he did. It came out of no where and I was devastated. The next Sunday, I sat in church and all I could do was cry.  Not one person came up to me that day.  Not one person reached out. They didn't even look at me. It's as though they didn't want to face the ugliness. That was the last time that I went to church.
Me: "I am so sorry that happened to you-"
Sue: "Do people fall through the cracks at your church too?"

Do people fall through the cracks at your church too? 

That would be the question that would leave me speechless. How could I respond to the depth of hurt in her heart? I couldn't. All I could do was express my sincere apology and tell her that I wish the church was perfect, but it's broken because it is filled with broken people. 

Do people fall through the cracks at your church too? 
Do people fall through the cracks at your church too? 
Do people fall through the cracks at your church too? 

This question has occupied my brain for the last 24 hours. The sad thing is, I know that they do. Sue caused me to think inwardly and outwardly. Inwardly because I evaluated myself and how I respond to others in the church. And outwardly because it reminded me to reach out when it comes to people in my own congregation. Because, you just never know when that person might be having a Sunday like Sue's. You never know when that person is inwardly miserable, devastated, broken-hearted, bitter, angry, or feeling desolate.  Sometimes, that person simply needs you to reach outward and help them reach upward. And because if you don't, who knows, they just may not be back next week.

Now, I didn't have all the answers yesterday and I still don't have all the answers. But I want to tell Sue that  even though she may have fallen through the cracks of that congregation, she never fell through the cracks of His hands. As I have been listening to this song today, Sue has been on my heart and in my prayers. 


There's a light in the dark that's shining, there's a song for the broken-hearted
Jesus, Jesus
There's a peace for the restless soul, there's a love that will not let go
Jesus, Jesus 
There's a cross that invites the broken, there's a King with His arms wide open
Jesus, Jesus


Just maybe I'll go see Sue again. And just maybe if I reach out, she'll reach up. 







2 comments:

  1. THIS IS BRILLIANT! You need to send this to a church publication of some sort...this is the kind of stuff "church people" need to read. It's not about church, it's about JESUS and pointing all to him. I think you should go back to see Sue. I really think you could make a difference in her life by sharing with her the things you wrote in this blog. Maybe even just put that song on a CD and give it to her. Make a move, whit. You're made for boldness like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That just punched me in the face. In a good way.

    Seriously, though, Whit. Every bit of this shows your heart, and His heart. Go back! Like Dest said, you were made for this.

    ReplyDelete