Sunday, August 26, 2012

My Camp Encounter

It's good to be back, bloggies!

I did something new this summer. I chaperoned for Kids Camp at Pine Creek Camp, a camp where I had only ever attended as a student. I was the leader of our expedition, as well as Ms. Katina. At times it was stressful, chaotic, and while I tried to be as organized as possible, kids camp really stretched me. Overall, I had a great time; I connected with my campers in such a way that only God himself could describe. It was incredible. Beyond the strong bond with my campers, fun-packed days, and moving services for the kids, it was a somber moment with the Lord and I that impacted me the greatest.

I truly believe that the more you pour out, he pours in. Speaking of “pouring,” it was a rainy day at camp and the afternoon activities had been cancelled. The campers were enjoying a movie in the chapel to pass the time. It was a nice break for me to go on a run, enjoy the fresh air… and some alone time! While on my run, I began to seek the Lord. I ran up and down the massive hills and found myself at the bottom of the campground near the creek. Far in the distance I spotted a chair that was placed beneath an oak tree near the creek. I sensed the Holy Spirit leading me to sit, pray, and just meditate in his presence. While seated, I had worship songs playing on my ipod that I sang when I was a camper. All of the revelations that God had ever spoken to me, and all the times spent with Jesus on those altars flushed my memory. Tears began to stream down my face as I began to recall the passions and promises that the Lord put in my heart. And then, a feeling of sadness arose. Here I was at this same camp where God had so clearly spoken to me and now, I felt as though I did not measure up to the person that God had shown me throughout the years, the person that I wanted to be. I found myself frustrated. My friends have found their calling, destiny, and passions but I’m not nearly as talented as some my friends and I had this feeling that I was not qualified to do the work of God and how could he use me to do His great works? Though it may seem petty now, Satan can make mountains out of molehills!  I then turned my music off and just sat silently without a whimper or sound.  I yearned to hear the voice of the Lord once more at this place of solitude. After sitting for a few minutes pondering and reflecting, I clearly heard God saying, “Did I ever say that I would tell you what your plans are? No, I said, ‘For I know the plans I  have for you…’ Trust me. Walk by faith, not by sight”  

For all you out there that have a unique and less-evident set of strengths and talents, we have to put our trust in the Lord and not allow the enemy to get a foothold. Suddenly I felt a burden lift. I didn’t have to have anything planned out. It’s not about me. It’s about Him and His plan. How He wants to use me in His perfect timing to further His kingdom. It doesn’t matter if 10,000 people hear me preach and accept Jesus, or if I teach fifteen kids about an incredible unfailing love that forgives them and desires relationship with them. It doesn’t matter if people see my fruit, as long as I am fruitful. I no longer had the self-seeking mindset of me doing something great for God, but truly understanding that all the power, glory, and honor belong to Him. I am to be a humble servant. I still do not have a clear direction of “what I want to be” or how I’m going to get there, but I do know my next step in my journey. I will pray that when I open my mouth God will give me the words to proclaim fearlessly the mystery of the Gospel and I will serve onto Him and only Him. And last of all, I know to walk by faith, not by sight and to lean not on my own understanding, but in all my ways, acknowledge him.

It was a great week. After that encounter, God showed me so much more about children and his love for children. I was able to pray with young girls, explain biblical doctrine to them and witness them believe it.

“Be faithful in the little things and I will make you plentiful in the big” Luke 16:10

-WDM

No comments:

Post a Comment