Saturday, July 27, 2013

Mr. and Mrs. Rothwell...

 
A few weeks ago, I had the privilege of toasting my dear sister and her new husband at their far-beyond-fairytale wedding reception. This was no easy task because Destiny and Ben are both writers and poets themselves... how could I write something eloquent, expressive, sentimental enough for these two romantics? Well I gave it my best try and it actually went well! That is, I actually got through it without crying. Success.



Here's a copy of my speech for those of you who missed it! Enjoy!

While Destiny is great, we all know that she is even better with her new groom and I have the privilege of toasting this newly wedded couple.

Mr. and Mrs. Rothwell,

 Someone wise once said,

"When you love someone, all your saved-up wishes come out.”


 
Destiny, I’ve known you for quite some time, and I know that you’ve had a lot of saved up wishes, hopes, and dreams. From the time you were a little girl you have been dreaming of your fairytale prince charming. I’ll never forget the hopeful smiles across your face after your first date with Ben, it was as though he was everything she had ever wished and prayed for. No really, he even really really liked her adorable younger sisters, something I know she wished for! Oh, and Grandparents were all for it… another check off her wish list.

Destiny and Ben have always been writers, all throughout their relationship, Destiny would show us quotes that Ben wrote. They were so poetic that one of them was even used for the favor!

If you know English Major Destiny at all, you know that she may not always say it… but she’ll for sure write it. So when preparing this toast, I couldn’t help but rummage through some of her old writings about Benjamin Aaron Rothwell.

Beginning in 2009, after their first summer spent together, Destiny wrote,

“This summer I met him. Some would argue, but I truly never saw the beauty of his heart & mind and so - I insist that I never knew him. This summer Ben Rothwell happened to me. My boyfriend, my best friend, and the quiet and steady pulsing music of my life.”
 
Like any good writer, Destiny is imaginative, expressive, and romantic. So I was not surprised when she wrote,

"
Our love will rival the fairytales.”
 
Well Destiny and Ben, your wish came true because your love does rival the fairytales. Not only because you will live in tree house-like-apartment for a few months and can pretend to be Tarzan and Jane. And not because Ben is tall, and dark, and… handsome, although I’ll admit that does help! And that you’re way prettier than anything Walt Disney could dream up, but because in this reality, you are making a marriage covenant with the King of Kings, giving your love story to Him. And those kinds are always the best.
 
Four years ago this month, Destiny and Ben began to fall in love, the good kind of love. The kind that will always last, not just because it is love, but because it is grounded in devotion to Christ and founded by a deep-rooted friendship. In 2010, Destiny wrote,


 "Beyond the affection and the adoration, Ben is my best friend...and we truly have fun together”
 
So Ben, I am excited for your adventurous adventures ahead. Ones that will and already does rival the ones we read about in the fairytales. And Destiny, as a sister and dearest friend, I am so unbelievably happy that your saved-wishes and prayers are happening. And I it’s true, because on Tuesday, July 10, 2012 you wrote to Ben,

“Thank you for heart.
That’s what I wished for from the very start.”

 
Here’s to the Bride and Groom!
And Here’s to a love that rivals the fairytales!








1 comment:

  1. AHHHHH!!! I love it even more after READING it! You did such a PERFECT job. But honestly, your delivery was JUST as good as the words you spoke. You gave this speech with SUCH poise, grace, confidence, humor, emotion, sweetness, elegance, and love. Everyone could feel your words because of the way you shared them. Thank you for adding such class and sophistication to my day! I'll never forget you standing up there wearing that gorgeous lace and all your hair swooped elegantly to the side, perfect curls, perfect make-up, braces-less smile...everything was in place. I can't wait for YOUR day!!!!! I love you! <3

    ps. I printed this out for my scrapbook.

    ReplyDelete