Friday, August 2, 2013

Joy.


"BRING ME THE SACRIFICE of your time: a most precious cmmodity. In this action-addicted world, few of My children take time to sit quietly in My Presence. But for those who do, blessings flow like streams of living water. I, the One from whom all blessings flow, am also blessed by our time together. This is a deep mystery; do not try to fathom it. Instead, glorify Me by delighting in Me. Enjoy Me now and forever!

This was from today's, Jesus Calling, a daily devotional that is from the perspective of Jesus. If you don't have it, get it or download it because it will change your life. Today's word was perfect for my inconsistent self. I do not understand why, but consistency in devotions has always been a challenge for me. Perhaps it's the business and action-addicted lifestyle that prohibits me to stop, sacrifice time, and savor His presence daily. But today, I did. And, He's been teaching me so much about joy.  I love what Christine Caine wrote about joy, "happiness and joy are not the same thing. Happiness is based on circumstances, but joy is based on God. Happiness is based on positive emotions, but joy is something much more. It's a fruit of the Holy Spirit."

I don't know about you (well, I kinda do because you're a woman too), but the enemy tries to attack me by stealing away my joy. Instead of delighting in the Lord and allowing blessings flow out of my mouth like streams of living water, I am so easily put down, put out, and frustrated with myself and others. Well, after doing a Ann VosKamp's Bible Study, A Thousand Gifts, I've learned how to be joyful by giving thanks. Ann has challenged me to write list of all of my blessings, my gifts. She's challenged me to write a thousand of them. Because nothing gives us more joy than rejoicing and thanksgiving. Why not celebrate life? Why not celebrate the victory of Christ and His victories in you? 

In my next few posts, I am striving to practice this discipline of continuous thanksgiving. I want to look back at this summer and remember it as a time of giving thanks to God for all of His gifts, no matter how big or how seemingly insignificant they might be. No, I will not list a thousand on Whit's End... there would never be an end to that!

I challenge you to do this with me. Share your biggest blessings with me and allow me to taste the joy in your own life, because joy spreads like wild fire. 


No comments:

Post a Comment