Friday, July 5, 2013

"There She Goes"


Tonight I had my first pre-wedding cry. It was the sinuses-hurting, nose-running, eyes-puffing, good-remedy, type cry. I didn’t have one of these cries before Taylor’s wedding, but then again it was the first time I ever had a sister get married and I did not know what to expect. This time I do. You spend months and months talking about what color you’re going to wear and what type of flowers you’re going to hold. You go to a lot of bridal boutiques and help her say yes to the dress. You watch as they fill out their registry and count the days. And then it always happens so quickly. They say, “I do” and cut their cake. And suddenly you find yourself waving goodbye to your sweet sister who is more like a best friend.  

I came home from a babysitting job today to find my Mom in Destiny’s room packing and asking me, “Is this copy of Pride and Prejudice Destiny’s?” Her question didn’t even register. All I could think about was Destiny’s empty bookshelf. Her room was becoming less warm, less welcoming, and less of her. I was already beginning to miss it. I held back my tears as I thought, “It’s ok, Whit, it’s just the bookshelf.”



I let it go and went on with my day filled with cleaning and more wedding planning.
But tonight I spent my evening reading back through old blogs and I stumbled upon this one… this was the cause of the sob.

sisters stick together.
sisters defend each other.
sisters fight each others' battles.
sisters know just how to make each other laugh.
sisters fight.
sisters know when to let it go and just love.
sisters make it about "you" not "me."
sisters forgive.
sisters share.
sisters are a team.
sisters don't let sisters have bad friends.
sisters protect.
sisters have nightly sleepovers.
sisters are fashion consultants.
sisters encourage.
sisters can talk & listen.
sisters consider one another their biggest blessing.
sisters learn how to practice grace.
sisters have to practice grace in regard to people who hurt their sisters.
sisters are accountability partners.
sisters are roommates.
sisters can be boiling mad one moment and cracking jokes the next.
sisters have thick skin.

-Destiny




Why is it? As little girls, you dream of becoming wives, mommas, and grown-ups but as an adult, I dream of being a little girl again? I’m not ready for the change. I’m not ready for Destiny to grow-up, get married, and move out forever. I’m not ready for Brianna to have a serious boyfriend and think of losing her too. I’m not ready for the nightly sleepovers to end. I’ll just really miss it...

  • I’ll miss the smell of Destiny’s room and snuggling her blankets because her room is way too cold.
  • I’ll miss how whenever I suggest a chick-flick to end the evening, she’ll say, “No, no, let’s just talk instead.”
  • I’ll miss her laughter when I tell her a story from that day.
  • I’ll miss our crazy dance parties and making fun of each other’s cheesy move.
  • I’ll miss asking her if my outfit looks good and her saying, “Oh Whit, you can totally pull that off!”
  • I’ll miss her using our shower and hair products… ok, no. I probably won’t miss that.
  • I’ll miss her bringing home her leftover Starbucks coffees.
  • I’ll miss driving with her and listening to her music (it’s seriously the best).
  • I’ll miss her showing me the latest music video, Hollywood gossip story, or hit song.
  • I’ll miss late night chats sitting on the counters and sometimes ending in a big fight… only to apologize the next day.
  • I’ll miss talking about Ben with her and what she is most excited about in their future.
  • I’ll miss the way we can go for days without a real conversation and in two minutes, spill our hearts out.
  • I’ll miss waiting up for her.
  • I’ll miss sleeping in the same bed by choice. 



      I could list a lot more things that I will miss about my sister, Destiny, but what I will miss most is her being here and the life that she brings to the Morrow home.

      Weddings are such an exciting time and marriage is such a blessed new chapter, but I am thankful for these times when I can lock myself in my room to remember us as little girls and teenagers. And then cherish those moments, and remind myself to enjoy the ones I have left in these next seven days before Destiny Morrow becomes Destiny Rothwell.




I love you to the moon and back, Destiny! And I will always be your Heart ;).

- Whit

1 comment:

  1. You're an AMAZING sister Whitney. You love your sisters with such whole-hearted, excited love! They're lucky to have your support :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete