Sunday, August 25, 2013

#3 {the blessing of a good read}

It's no secret that I'm not a reader. Perhaps it's the reason why my sisters have such a better way with words than I do. Growing up,  my own imagination was always enough to satisfy my urge for adventure. I would rather create stories in my head than read about them in books. During my homeschooling years, I could hardly stand History class because it required a whole lot of listening to my mom read books such as, Johnny Tremain and The Sign of the Beaver. Boring. Needless to say, my memories of those days consist of drawing some of my best pictures and thinking of some of my greatest ideas.  In middle school,  at night when my sisters were engrossed in their fictional obsessions, I would work on math homework... for the next day. Yes, I know, I'm an overachiever.  When we went into Christian Bookstores and they would inevitably choose to buy the newest Lori Wick (an Author of christian romance)  novel, I was good with the new, hippest Bible case or something of that sort.

For years, every January and every summer, I make a reading list. In hopes that I will actually change myself. And every December and every fall, there is a stack of unfinished books sitting on my nightstand. Sometimes I only make it past the prologue... shhhhh!



But this fall, and even last January, was an accomplishment. Instead of reading to find pleasure,  I read to find treasure, and I did. I read to be inspired and enthused, and I was. I found books that did not just tell a story, but rather, tell someone's story. I was captivated when I read The Story of Dietrich Bonhoefer, a pastor and theologian who lived during the tumultuous times of the Second World War. As a German, his sole purpose was to demonstrate utmost integrity, unwavering valiance, and unfaltering faith during injustice.  Though this innocent man endured months in prison and was eventually exiled,  he said, "gratitude changes the pangs of memory into a tranquil joy." Bonhoeffer led a life worthy of the calling he had received (Eph. 4:1) and he knew the cost of discipleship.  His lasting legacy is still impacting many lives today.






Another fabulous read is Christine Cain's, Undaunted. If you have not read this book and you want to become more passionate about your God-given calling and are determined to do something now, then you need to read this book! It's life-changing, y'all. Additionally, I am currently indulging in The Jesus Hearted Woman written by Joanna Weaver. I can't keep my nose out of these pages that are filled with  teachings about graceful confidence, Jesus-like humility, authenticity, stamina, and self-value. Let me inform you that book is valuable! 

It makes me so filled with gratitude when I recognize these writings as gifts in my life and I am so thankful for the blessing of good reads. They shift your perspective, shape your persona, and solidify your  purpose. 

love, 
Whit

1 comment:

  1. You definitely DO have a way with words, Whitney. I'm always inspired by your blogs. Keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete