Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My House Shall Be Called A House of Prayer

Happy Wednesday!

Today I spent my morning answering phones at Crosswalk Community Church. I actually enjoyed it, too. I love God and I love people so, I especially enjoy conversing with Godly people. But, that's another blog for another time.

While answering the phones, I received numerous phone calls simply requesting prayer. One lady took time out of her busy life and drove to the church solely for the reason of prayer. She attempted to tell me about her suicidal brother and could hardly speak due to her choked-up tone in her voice and the tears that filled her eyes. She had so much compassion for her brother and belief in God. She believed that if we, the church would pray, God would hear us from heaven and he would touch her brother. This is faith. That lady, that day inspired me. Though I have been taught to think differently, when I face trial, prayer is not the first on my to-do list. In fact, often times, the thought does not even come to mind until desperation is apparent. I have become so accustomed to praying out of routine; praying for meals, before bed, etc. I forget that prayer needs to become a part of life. Prayer is powerful and when we realize that it's power has the ability to heal us, comfort us, convict us, mold us, encourage us, and make us whole, prayer will become a priority.
This week, this subject has been heavy on my heart so I looked up a few scriptures to remind me just how important prayer is.

The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all call on him in truth. Psalm 145:18

"Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know," says the LORD. Jeremiah 33:3

Jesus said, "Whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." Mark 11:24

Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. James 5:13

The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer. 1 Peter 3:12

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. Colossians 4:2

Be joyful always; pray continually; giving thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Be faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12

Not only was I inspired that day at the church, but I was also awakened. When the sweet lady came in for prayer and told me her story, I pitted her and froze. What do I pray over this hurting woman? I knew that I should pray with her, but for the first time in my life, I did not feel prepared to pray for this lady. I told her that my Dad would be back soon and that he could pray. Later, I felt ashamed. I was not prepared to pray? I had a wake-up call and I know that something needs to happen to fix that. A few years ago, I really wanted to join the prayer team. I knew the power of prayer and I wanted to be able to pray over people and watch God heal and change them. I never joined. Now, after my experience I am determined to join that prayer team. I want to become a woman of prayer. I want to know that when someone asks me for prayer or tells me about a need, I will be prepared to pray for them out of my heart and faith in the Lord.

"My house shall be called a house of PRAYER" Matthew 21:13.

No comments:

Post a Comment